Interesting facts about lithium
Lithium is the alkali metal element, located in the third cell in the periodic table system. Lithium is the lightest of all solid metals and can cut a knife.
Lithium position in the periodic table of elements
1. The word “Lithium” originated from the Greek word “lithos” which means stone. It is the lightest known metal known to man. Water is two times denser than Lithium.
2. It is one of the three elements which were formed during the Big Bang. The other two elements being Hydrogen and Helium.
Big Bang explosion
3. Lithium is the lightest metal.
4. Pure lithium is extremely corrosive.
5. A common use for lithium is in pills, treating bipolar disorder
Lithium is stored in kerosene
6. Lithium was crucial to making the atomic bomb.
7. It can also be found in batteries.
8. Lithium is used extensively in rechargeable batteries. It is also used in many ceramics.
9. The first man-made nuclear reaction was the transmutation of lithium into tritium.
10. Lithium carbonate is used in small doses to treat manic depression and bipolar disorders.